Wednesday 3 January 2018

Alternative New Year's Message - 2018




Previously investment-auto-motives has provided Christmas and New Year's Messages that view economic life from a philosophical perspective, trying to seek a rounded balance in the world.

(As indeed was seen in the overtly moralistic tone of the last web-log).

However, before returning to the matter of a resurgent Brazilian economy – now that there is at long last synchronous global economic traction – this New Year's Message seeks to not moralise but enthuse, in a round-a-bout humouristic way, about the matter of democratic, shared stakeholder capitalism.


A Very Short, Very Topical Film Based Quiz....

Doing so in the form of a question, pertaining to Capitalism's golden age, when it was working for everyone, from those at top of the societal tree to those at the bottom.

As is clear, this weblog has rightly criticised the very damaging socio-economic influence that the worst of Hollywood film and television has created so as to produce an unthinking, overtly self-centric and consumer-centric western society.

At its worst it promotes unfettered sex and violence; at its 'best' it deliberately perpetuates its own self-interests and its associated power-structure without even the pretence of paraody. (ie the film The Rewrite' amongst others). Between these two extremes it regurgitates formulaic low-brow comedies or stretches the sequel idiom ad infinitum.

But there was a time during the 1950s and 1960s when the best of a positively moralistic United States – in its bid to create worldwide economic unity via film's soft-power influence – deployed Hollywood as its idealistic 'temporal and spiritual translator'.

The following is an excerpt of a film script from that golden era, which quite obviously has an automotive overtone that befits this web-log, and the ideals of investment-auto-motives.

….............................................................................................................

An example of America's first post-war sportscar (before Corvette) speeds down a country lane, driven by a man wearing a panama hat with colourful silk band whilst jauntily whistling to himself.

Then a low angle, close-up view of a wire-wheeled, white-walled tyre screeching to stop.

The car reverses (in a long arc) at speed into the empty taxi-kerb of a rural rail-road station (to encounter the female star).

She is a beautiful, elegantly dressed woman, stood with small dog and luggage.

The conversion between the two apparent 'strangers' begins, with a cheeky opening gambit...


M: “Taxi Miss... cheapest rates in Glenn Cove?”
F: “Well hello, how are you?”
“Well I'm fine, how are you...and I might add...who are you?”
“Who am I?”
“Am I supposed to know”.
“Come to think of it, no you're not supposed to know”.
“Are you stranded?”
“My father was supposed to pick me up, but something must have happened”.
“Who ever your father is and whatever happened, I'd be eternally grateful..that is if I can give you a lift”.
“You certainly can, you can drive me home”.
“Good, I'll get your bags....where do you live?”
“Desores Lane”
“Desores Lane...say that's where I live”
“Really”
“Sure...we must be neighbours...and if there's one thing I believe in it's 'love thy neighbour'”.
“Oh, so do I”

The man jumps out, collects the luggage and straps it to the trunk-lid rack.

W: (talking to the dog) “Come on David”
M: “David...is his name David?”
“Yes it is”
“That's funny, my name's David too”
“That is funny isn't it!” (said with a knowing smirk)

Once on the road...

“Are you sure you don't want to tell me your name?”
“Positive...I'm having much too much fun!”
“Alright, if you want to play games...have you always lived here in Long Island”
“Most of my life”
“I could have sworn I knew every pretty girl on the North Shore”
“I could have sworn you took in more territory than that”
“This is maddening...I know I've seen that face before...let me see your profile again...I know I know you. I've a feeling I've seen you with your father. Wait a minute...is your father Admiral Starrit?”
“Hardly” (with slight grin)
“Funny, I keep seeing him in a uniform. Oh come on, give us a hint. What does your father do”
“He's in Transportation”
“Transportation...Rail-Roads, New York Central?”
“No” (burgeoning smile)
“Planes, TWA?”
“No” (broadening smile)
“Boats, United States Lines?”
“No” (beaming smile)
“I Pass”
“Automobiles” (said with glee).

He continues to guess on...

M: “Oh...Chrysler?”
F: “Yes...Chrysler, and Ford and General Motors and Rolls-Royce”
“Is your father on the Board of Directors of all those companies?”
“Well...you might say he runs things”.

…......................................................................................................

(If only people in real life – social, business and otherwise - were as pure, charming and decent as Hollywood characterisation in its yesteryear heyday. The world would indeed be a better place).


For the fun of intrigue itself, identify the film from the clues and character's conversation, the actor and actress, and the vehicle itself, born from an overtly politically projected, complex, cross-continental 'entent--cordial' business model.